Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Sail Away

Hello!
Our hot Florida weather makes me want to spend an afternoon or evening sailing away over calm waters with soft breezes blowing gently.  Doesn't that sound wonderful?  Well, I can dream, can't I?

I recently purchased this pretty Sail Away stamp.  I think it will make some wonderful masculine cards, as well as all occasion cards.  

I chose a piece of  Marina Mist card stock for the base. The next layer is So Saffron, which was embossed with the Framed Tulips embossing folder and the Big Shot.  Additional layers of Basic Black and Marina Mist card stock were added to create a base for the focal image, the sail boat.

A 1 3/4" circle punch was used to create a mask for the sun using a post-it note.  It was placed on a  piece of Glossy Card stock.  Next, I brayered Marina Mist ink over the card stock, letting the color fade out at the top, and deepening the color at the bottom.  

The post-it note was removed and So Saffron ink was sponged in the circle.  Some Perfect Plum ink was also sponged across the center of the card to add some color variaion and interest.

For the main image, the sail boat was stamped in position with black ink.  It was stamped a second time on Vellum card stock, and the sails were cut out of the vellum piece. The sails were attached over the image on the glossy card with two mini  glue dots.

A white gel pen was used to color the tiny flag on top of the mast as well as to accent the waves in the water.
I enjoy using the brayer to create smooth and blended backgrounds.  Glossy card stock is very forgiving when brayering and the lines tend to blend more easily than on other types of papers.

This card ended up as a birthday card for my son.  He doesn't have a sailboat but I know he will appreciate the card.

Happy stamping,

1 comment:

Mickey Roberts said...

So pretty, Diane! Love the sea and sky.